Thursday, March 1, 2012

Confessions of an Online Dater: The One Who Texted Too Much

Sometimes, you meet someone and they seem pretty cool, until the over enthusiastic texting begins......


**Side Note: DO NOT think that I am not a texter by any means from this post.  I am practically attached to my cell phone and am often texting with friends back and forth...this post is about texts that are not "back and forth" and about how sometimes, you can overwhelm a girl by sending way too much, way too soon.**

I went out with The Texter earlier this summer.  Don't get me wrong, I love to get a text from someone, have conversations etc. 2, 3, maybe even 4 or a few more (depending on the importance or how close I am to you) missed text messages is more than acceptable!.

What I do not appreciate, is a bombardment of more than 15 texts within an hour an a half on a topic I have no interest in. I especially do not appreciate this when I am not having a conversation with you, have no interest in you, you are not my friend or boyfriend, and I have made it clear it isn't going to work.

I went out with The Texter to a local winery, which was awesome.  The guy was a chef and had recently graduated from a prestigious culinary school.  The date went smoothly until we sat down in the vineyard with a glass of vino and some cheese.  He proceeded to tell me how much he hated school and his job, why every teacher and chef was "out to get him" and then talk endlessly about fishing. 

Fishing is cool, not really my thing to do every weekend, but I would try it.  This kid could not shut up about fishing.

After the date, I returned home and within two hours of leaving this guy I had 27 text messages.

First 3: about how much fun he had and thank you texts for the date
Next 6: about a TV show I do not watch that has to do with fishing, he was literally discussing this with himself "out loud" through texts to my phone.
Next 3: Would I go fishing with him sometime and how much I would love camping for a week and fishing...(For those of you who know me...take bets on how long I would actually last doing this, maybe a day? Two days max? It just isn't my thing!)
Next 3: How awesome it was that he could talk about fishing with me the whole time. (I am pretty sure i just smiled and nodded my head at appropriate times while he pretty much talked to himself...)
 
It just kept going from there and I could not keep up.  I didn't even want to respond. I barely knew this person, we went on ONE date!  You are not my friend so leave me alone!

Of course, after this situation, I had to let him down easy and after a few days of non stop text messaging to my phone as to why I should still go fishing with him even though I made it clear that wouldn't happen, it was done.

Words to the wise:

Sometimes, over texting can be a bad thing.  When I look at my phone and I see 15 unread text messages from one person I went on ONE date with, it is a turn off.  There are always exceptions...I am not saying this is ultimately a NO, if you're my friend, text me all you want...boyfriend...go ahead! Family member or someone I have been seeing for a while, great! If it is a very important conversation or has to do with important plans we made, text away! If I am responding, keep texting! Or call me!  I am happy to talk to you and listen, converse, text, anything you need, I am there for you and I would NEVER be annoyed with you...in fact, I want you to text and call me all the time!  That's what friends do and I am always happy to hear from you!  But if I barely know you and have made it clear I am not interested, just stop.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, totally happens to me all the time!
    I can't even describe to you how annoying it is, and then when you say it's not going to work out they question you as to why you are still on the dating site since its not working out with them, they think you shouldn't date at all! (at least in my case!)

    ReplyDelete